Leh, a high-desert city in the Himalayas. Ride to Leh-ladakh was in mind for almost 5 years. We rented one RE Himalayan from Delhi.
Be aware that Rented bike from Delhi or any other place is not allowed in Leh(Bike union will block if you are riding with rented bike to Khardungala, Nubra, Pangong lake etc ). You can ride the bikes in highways without any issues. Same issues is with taxies also. To avoid this issues, you need to rent one bike from Leh itself(Expensive compared with other places). Or you can use your own bike.
Myself and my friend stated the preparations for this trip. We choose to ride a bike From Delhi to Leh via Srinagar and return via Manali. Why we choose to ride via Srinagar instead of Manali is
- Best acclimatisation and less health issues.
- No worries of Manali Rothang - Pass permit. (If you are traveling from leh to Manali, no pass is required at Rothang pass).
Things to Do before starting the Trip.
- If you are Planning to rent a vehicle, please complete the procedures and documentations.
- You can apply for Leh inner-line permits online. Permits required to travel to Khardung la, Nubra, Pangong, Tso Moriri.
- Check the road status. Roads might be closed due to land slide or any political issues in J&K
Things to Carry for Leh Ladakh Bike trip
- Saddle bags(Comfortable if you are riding a bike)
- Riding Shoe and waterproof shoe
- Helmet (Full face is better)
- Riding Jacket
- Riding Glows, Thermal Glows
- 2-3 pair of Jeans
- 4-5 T shirts
- Rain Coat
- Riding Pants
Our travel Itinerary.
Day 1 : Kochi to Panipat.
We started from Kochi early morning and reached Delhi at 11 am. We have completed the procedures of bike renting papers works and started from Delhi at 2pm. Due to the extreme temperature and traffic, we got exhausted. We booked one hotel near Panipat and decided to take rest for the day.
Day2 : Panipat to Amaritsar
We woke up early and prepared for the ride. Started from hotel at 6 AM. We plan to cover as much as possible before noon. Temperature is extreme at Delhi and Panjab, so we feel tiered fast. We had our breakfast from Ambala. Also we got our bike serviced from Ludhiana. Thanks to RE team who helped us on Sunday and didn't charged for the service. The Climate was nice today and we got one rain in between. We reached Amritsar around 5 pm. Booked one hotel near to Golden temple. Got fresh and went to explore Golden temple. Spend some time there and took some nice photos.
Day 3: Amritsar to Patnitop
Day 4: Patnitop to Sonamarg
Day 5: Sonamarg to Leh
Day 6: Leh
Day 7: Leh to Khardung La
Day 8: Khardung La to Pangong Lake
Day 9: Pangong Lake to Leh
Day 10: Leh to Sarchu
Day 11: Sarchu to Manali
Day 12: Manali to Mandi
Day 13: Mandi to Delhi
Day 14: Delhi
Day 15 Delhi to Kochi